Various American Bullies have emerged over the past few years from dog lineages like American Pit Bull Terriers by following selective breeding techniques. There is ongoing confusion regarding the difference between Micro Bully and its familiar cousin, Pocket Bully. Today we will point out the contrast between them so that you gain a clear understanding of each type and also the one that will be best suited for you.
The American Bully breeds are derived from mixing the American Pit Bull Terrier and other bulldog breeds like the English Bulldog, the American Staffordshire Terrier, and even the Staffordshire Bull Terrier; all of which contribute to its overall physique and characteristics. This is why you will find various behaviours and features similar to French Bulldogs, American Bulldogs, Exotic Bulldogs, American Pitbull Terriers, and Patterdale Terriers.
Muscular bodies with broad chests, thick necks, and short legs are the main characteristics of American Bully dogs. Their stocky build is quicker than they are long with tight skin with almost no wrinkles. You can think of the Pocket Bully as a miniaturized version of the Standard American Bully. Though they aren’t as muscular as the Standard American bullies, they have a compact build with shorter legs. The Micro Bully also possesses similar physical features as that of an American Bully but on a Micro-scale.
Read on to know more about the differences between Pocket bullies and Micro bullies regarding their physical appearance:
- The head of Pocket bullies is larger in size compared to the Micro Bully as the former has a 60% or more diameter ratio of their shoulder height. The diameter ratio of Micro bullies is 50% or less of their shoulder height.
- The eyes of American Pocket bullies are usually round and set wide apart. The almond-shaped eyes of Micro bullies are also set wide apart.
- The ears of Pocket bullies are usually cropped and set high on the head. While the ears of Micro bullies are also set high on the head they aren’t cropped and have a natural shape.
- Both American Pocket bullies and Micro bullies have smooth coats. While the former dog breed has a short coat, the latter has a short to medium-length one.
- A Pocket American Bully weighs between 30 to 50 pounds making them distinctively larger of the two. The Micro Bully being the smallest variant of the American Bully weighs between 20 to 40 pounds.
Both dog breeds are loyal, intelligent, and affectionate which makes them excellent guard dogs. However, the Pocket Bully is more outgoing whereas the Micro Bully is more reserved around strangers.