If your dog has eaten Tylenol (acetaminophen), it is important to act quickly and seek veterinary advice. Acetaminophen is a common pain reliever and fever reducer, but it can be toxic to dogs. Ingestion of even a small amount of Tylenol can cause serious health problems, including liver failure, kidney failure, and even death.
The first step is to determine how much Tylenol your dog has ingested. If you know the exact amount, you should contact your veterinarian immediately. If you don’t know the exact amount, you should still contact your veterinarian as soon as possible.
Your veterinarian will likely recommend inducing vomiting to help remove the Tylenol from your dog’s system. This should be done as soon as possible after ingestion. Your veterinarian may also recommend giving your dog activated charcoal to help absorb any remaining Tylenol in the stomach and intestines.
Your veterinarian may also recommend blood tests to check for liver and kidney damage. If your dog has ingested a large amount of Tylenol, your veterinarian may recommend hospitalization and intravenous fluids to help flush the Tylenol from your dog’s system.
If your dog has ingested Tylenol, it is important to act quickly and seek veterinary advice. With prompt treatment, the prognosis is usually good. However, if left untreated, Tylenol toxicity can be fatal. If you suspect your dog has ingested Tylenol, contact your veterinarian immediately.